Monday, July 20, 2015

The Sunday the candles were dark

What does God look like?

It is probably safe to say that to many of us, God comes to mind as an old guy complete with beard and flowing robes.

There is something to be said for that.  It portrays wisdom and stability; timelessness and strength.  Also, though, it can be rather stogy and limiting. 


I have a friend who thinks of God as light.   

Just for fun,  I googled synonyms of light and found:  illumination, brightness,
 
Anyway, the image of God as light came to mind during church on Sunday.  While sharing prayer concerns at the beginning of the service, our attention was directed to a candle on the altar, placed there in remembrance of the passing of one of our members. 

We all looked at the candle.  It was not lit.  Neither were the two candles which represent the light of Christ.

I could take pictures because I was sitting in front.
 

They are blurry because I was trying to be discreet.
Not a big deal, except it kind of was.  Once you saw that the light was gone, you couldn’t unsee it.  At least, I couldn’t.  I tried to focus on the prayer, but kept thinking of those dark candles.  It bothered me.
When the prayer ended and we raised our heads, the candles were lit.  It seems that while we were praying, Christ came. 

I know, I know.  He was there all along.  Still, it was a reminder to me of how much we take the Light for granted. 
The candle representing the life of our fellow church member was burning brightly.  The Light of Christ was glowing. 

 
At the end of the service, as always, the acolytes carried the light from the altar, down the aisle, and (symbolically) out into the world.
 

Once there was someone who said such amazing things and did such wonderful things that people began to follow Him, but they didn’t know who He was.  So one day, they just had to ask Him. 
 
 
And He said,
“I am the Light.”

 

 

 

 

 



 

 

 

 



 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment