Thursday, October 27, 2011

Now that's a Pumpkin!


October 27 is National Pumpkin Day!

Did you know that the word “pumpkin” comes from the Greek word “pepon,” meaning "large melon"? I didn't.

And did you know pumpkins can be grown on every continent except Antarctica? The United States alone produces about 1.5 billion pounds of pumpkins each year.

Fun Fact: According to the Montreal Gazette, a Quebec farmer, Jim Bryson and daughter Kelsey (12) grew the world’s largest pumpkin at their Ormstown farm. It weighed in at 1,818.5 pounds.



Jim and Kelsey, 12, have toured the Big Apple, appeared on the television show, Live! with Regis and Kelly, and have received calls and emails of congratulations from giant vegetable growers the world over.

Bryson, who produces maple syrup on his farm, feeds his pumpkins a special diet of that includes potash and seaweed. He also sprays their leaves with a watered-down version of maple syrup.

This is my pumpkin.



I got it from Kroger's. It won't win any prizes, but I can see it out my kitchen window and it makes me smile!

No comments:

Post a Comment