Sunday, August 28, 2011

Pass the cake, please

Barby Hardy passed away last week. She was 62. I knew Barby for many years through her job with Fayette County Schools. She loved books and had a passion for reaching children through the school library system. She was very much loved and will be greatly missed.

One of my friends, who knew Barby much better and much longer than I did, was reminiscing about her yesterday. She shared something interesting with me.

It seems that Barby had a fondness for (in addition to books and children) birthday cakes. My friend said that it wasn't unheard of for Barby to purchase a birthday cake anytime of the year, just to eat and enjoy.

What a great story! I think I'll take it to heart.

I've never been one to avoid birthdays. I love them. On my birthday people give me cards that tell me (a) I'm wonderful or (b) if I were a chicken I'd be a nugget by now. Either way, bring on the cards.

On my birthday I get a lot of attention from my friends. My children come home. My husband takes us all out. I eat birthday cake. The next day I eat leftover birthday cake.

Start skipping birthdays because I'm getting older? Never!

I've had 55 birthdays so far. I figure the odds are against me having 55 more. So maybe I'd better start upping the cake quota. Having it every 3 or 4 months instead of once a year. Or maybe just when ever I feel like it.

Vanilla cake with buttercream icing and raspberry filling. Or chocolate cake piled high with chocolate shavings. Strawberry cake with real strawberries. Angel food cake with whipped cream. Baskin Robbins cake with chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream.

The choices are endless.

Life is to be celebrated. Every day. Join me for cake?


1 comment:

  1. Man I sure do love cake so I definitely approve of this post!

    ReplyDelete