Sunday, September 18, 2011

Ready or not, here it comes


Fall came to my house this week. Steve got my decorations down from the attic and I scattered them around.


Around my mantle.



Around my mother-in-law's tea service.



Around my angel. She is part of a Christmas nativity set, but I keep her out all year.


To be honest, I'm having a little trouble getting in the mood this year. and I don't know why. There is no question that autumn in Kentucky is spectacular. Especially if you take the time to get out in the country a bit where there are farms and open spaces. Cooler weather, gorgeous trees, campfires, apple cider and football games.

But for some reason, I'm just not ready to say goodbye to summer. I'll miss the air when you first step out in the morning. The birds are singing and the humidity hasn't yet hit. And the late, late night air when it feels like silk on your skin. I'm not a fan of goosebumps.

I like my gauzy dresses and flip flops. I like no sweater weather. I like the little hummingbird that has finally found our feeder. I like my flower garden and will miss its offerings.




This year, for the first time, I found myself sometimes squinting in the sun, unwilling to put on sunglasses; like I needed to soak up all that green.

But, ready or not, here comes autumn. And that's fine. I just need to get on board.


So last weekend I rearranged my closet so that my warmer clothes were more accessible. I even purchased some pumpkin pie scented oil from Walmart to get me in the mood.



Then I put orange lights on my fake fig tree. That made me smile.



And, of course, I brought Mr. Pumpkin home. It's hard to hold a grudge against something so cute.

I think what I need is a big piece of pumpkin pie (see, that scented oil is getting me in the spirit of things already). Then maybe I'll buy Bella an orange bandanna to wear. And make some chili! There's nothing like a big pot of chili when the weather cools off.

I think I'm feeling better already.



No comments:

Post a Comment